Over time, your roofing shingle will slowly start curl. If this happens, you may need prompt action. If left unfixed, your roof might weaken and get damaged. Curled roofing shingles may also be susceptible to wind and other elements, which may not be good for you.
1. Roofing shingles can curl when they exposed to continuous wet and dry cycles. During this time, moisture accumulates on the bottom or underside of the roofing shingle, causing it to slowly bend. This weakens the material in the shingle and causes it to curl upward.
2. Roof shingles also curl during winter, or what is known as “winter shingle curling”. Snow or ice may accumulate on our roof, lowering the temperature of the shingle and causing the protruding surface to bend upward. This happens when the weather is cold.
Curling occurs when the top surface contracts, while at the same time, the bottom of the shingle remains flat because of the small amount of passive heat from the house or attic. This occurs because the underside of a roof shingle is placed flat against the roof and absorbs the indoor heat more than that of the top surface. The difference in temperature between the top and bottom parts causes it to bend upward.
3. Roofing shingles can also curl because of inadequate ventilation. When your roof is not adequately ventilated, heat and moisture may be trapped under it. As time passes by, it can slowly affect the roofing shingle material and weaken its structure, causing it to bend.
4. Roofing shingles will also curl when nails pop-out or protrude from the shingle.
5. Lastly, roofing shingles will also curl because of improper timing during the application the shingles. For example, putting wet shingles on a very dry day or placing dry shingles during a wet day.
In some cases, the best way to fix roofing shingle problems would be to have proper air ventilation. Ask your roof contractor about this and how it can be done for your house.
And if you find out that your roofing shingles are curling, call your local roofing contractor to fix the problem right away. They know what to do with this and can guarantee great work in no time.